Tuesday 4 September 2007

What I Did On My Holidays - Budleigh Salterton 4 Appledore 2 - South West peninsula League Division One East 18/08/07

I came down for our two week break in glorious East Devon with many good intentions to see lots of different football teams and...well...err...saw only two games, one of which I have no pictures of after dropping my camera into the sea at Sidmouth! I really haven't got the hang of this hopping at all have I?

Anyway, it all started off okay on the Saturday, we arrived at our caravan in Ladram Bay early enough to get unpacked and leave time for me to make the short trip to Budleigh Salterton's Greenway Lane ground for their opening SW Peninsula League game against Appledore. I thought Appledore was a fruit based soft drink but apparently it's a Naval Port in North Devon.

There was enough rain around for me to think that the game may have been in danger but the pitch was in lovely condition, the ground is up in the hills above the town and offers nice views of the surrounding farmland, but the rain belting down spoiling the effect somewhat. As Cameron and I pulled up five minutes before the alloted 2:45 kick off the Appledore team minibus pulled in behind us obviously having got caught in the holiday traffic, so with the kick off no doubt being slightly delayed we went to explore the clubhouse and find some grub. No complaints here, it's a spacious bar with big-screen telly, pool and even a skittle alley, and joy of joys, decent beer on draught! Pity I was driving and could only have the one then. It chased the cheesy chips from the snack bar down nicely though.

We sat in the small stand (see above)) for the start of the game but the rain slowed a bit and we went on a tour around the perimeter, Cameron inevitably finding a large muddy puddle to fall into on the way, typical, it would be me getting hell from his Mother not him, it's always my fault!


Cameron the mud magnet finds more mud.

Budleigh started off at a great rate of knots, maybe the visitors' late arrival contributed to their sluggish start, either way Budleigh should have been one up in the first minute and were ahead just a couple of minutes later. It evened out after that and Appledore grabbed an equaliser, definitely against the run of play but Budleigh failed to take their chances so them's the breaks! The home team continued to press but somehow contrived to go 2-1 down! Luckily their heads did not drop and they equalised within a minute and then retook the lead and held it until HT - 3-2. Time to dry off in the clubhouse and check the Tamworth score, 1-0 up at Hyde, excellent.

Cameron decided that he was wet enough and took the easy option of pop and crisps in front of Soccer Saturday for the second half, I ventured out for a bit but then realised I could see the game from the clubhouse windows! The view wasn't great but it was a lot drier.



Number 2 in what looks like being a rather large series: The view of the game from the Budleigh clubhouse.

Time has dulled my memory of the rest of the match and I didn't take notes (suppose I should start to really) but Budleigh continued to be the much better side and ran out 4-2 winners. Reading the excellent and free with admission programme it transpires that they could have taken a place in the Premier Division of the new SW Peninsula League and the quality they seem to have in their squad means they wouldn't have looked out of place in a higher division.
Overall I liked this place, they are friendly and the facilities are good, I'll be back next year I reckon, I wish them well.

Attendance - Just over 50 on my count, wish people would stand still when I'm trying to count them.
Price - £2.50 for the two of us including a programme, bargain!
Food - Good and cheap, loved the chips and cheese.
Beer - Must leave the car at home but it was a disgustingly wet day!

And that's it really, I did catch twenty minutes of Alphington V University of Exeter on my way back from Powderham castle and I found Beer Albion's ground accidentally after taking a wrong turn, the rest of the holiday was spent on beaches in glorious sunshine. Must do better, so many teams, so little time!

No comments: